Saturday, January 24, 2009

Redecorating the White House

I came across this interesting letter that was sent to President and First Lady Obama to suggest ways in which the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) could help them redecorate the White House. It made me stop to consider what changes they might make in order to make this historic building feel like home to them. Young children living in the White House presents a special set of circumstances that hasn't been a consideration for a number of years. There has also been much speculation about how the new president's cultural background might bring about changes to the White House's decor. Another thing that could create controversy is whether or not it makes sense to spend money to redecorate the White House during these tough economic times. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Being a guy that is very interested in interior decor and history, I found this on a website that may be interesting to you as well. Here is a website http://www.mrs-o.org/?p=3054. One of my concerns is that the new administration's personal decor match and keep the integrity of the public-owned home. I am speculating that they will probably have many things donated making the expense of redecorating very minimal (relatively speaking!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about this the other day. What other residence has had so many people live there. I can see both sides. I believe they should leave the majority of the house historically accurate. However I think it is okay for the president to change little things or add things like artwork and make technological updates. The other day I saw where President and Mrs. Bush had acquired a piece of modern art for the house, I think it is a good idea to have a different pieces of history in the house. As for the economic situation, everyone, no matter who they are should be conservative in their spending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a very interesting link you provided, Joe. I will add it to my favorites and try to keep an eye on it. I like that the bed is an antique. It will fit in well with other furnishings in the White House. It will be interesting to see what other items they have ready to move in. I didn't realize that someone had already been hired to "refresh" the private quarters of the White House. They aren't wasting any time, are they?

    Sarah, historically the President has made interior design changes so this is nothing new. I can see how some changes would be needed considering the ages of their children. I agree with you that they should leave the house historically accurate for the most part. I don't think that's ever been a concern until now. I am envisioning something a bit more eclectic. We'll see what happens and how much they spend.

    ReplyDelete